Are you ready to grow? What's holding you back?

Are you ready to grow?    What's holding you back?

Tuesday, October 16, 2007

Podcasting

I was enthusiastic about podcasting after reading Will Richardson's chapter about finding, creating and using podcasts in schools. Although it is somewhat new to me it has clearly been used in creative ways all over and by all sorts of people.

I decided to create an audio podcast with my students. They thought it would be cool to talk about their recent trip to Nature's Classroom. They wanted a different way to share what they had experienced with other students, parents and community members. So I downloaded Audacity and started to play with it. Using a simple external microphone we were able to record an interview where the students told a lot about their trip. I was then able to add music in the background. Saving it was another story, I was able to export it with a WAV file onto Media Player. This has allowed me to play it off my computer, however I am not able to upload it to any internet site. After more research I found and downloaded Ourmedia.org to provide server space to store it. I am still having difficulty putting it on the internet... help, what is my next step?

1 comment:

Jeff said...

Next Step:

You need to convert your file into mp3 format.

In Audacity you should be able to go to File-Export As MP3.

Once you have it in an mp3 format then you will be able to upload it to ourmedia.org. I love ourmedia.org a great site to get started with podcasting.

.wav files are a Windows format and only play on machines running Microsoft windows. The mp3 format is an open format meaning it will play on any machine running any audio software. That is why mp3 has become the standard format for podcating and sharing audio files on the web.

Depending on what version of Audacity you have you might need to download a little mp3 encoder called Lame. You can find the directions on the Audacity web site here:

http://audacity.sourceforge.net/help/faq?s=install&item=lame-mp3

Hope this helps...looking forward to listening to your podcast!